Friday 14 September 2007

Water!

So the best way to learn a language is to use it as much as possible. In a Chinese restaurant buffet menu style, I went up to the bar (choosing a moment when it wasn't surrounded by waiters) and politely asked the waitress if she spoke Chinese.... in Chinese. The answer was yes in Chinese (even though I had managed to make a mistake already and told her she spoke Chinese not asked her if she did).

After that I managed to ask for a glass of water, and got.... a glass of water. It did take two goes but I wasn't handed a napkin or given a slap in the face.

After that I got pointed at a lot (apparently, I was too busy enjoying my glass of water to notice), but wow did that feel good.

Chinese Pod - Newbie - Requesting a Glass of Water
if you too wish to get some water in a Chinese restaurant.

No comments: